The DCP is part of the Drought Response Program that seeks to prepare for and address drought in advance of a crisis. Water managers will have the tools to develop and/or update drought plans, implement projects that build long-term drought resiliency and; develop and prepare to implement emergency response actions.
The DCP study area is a smaller sub-region of the overall Basin study area. However, this sub-region is the most critically impacted by water shortages and drought. It also includes the greatest diversity of stakeholders with seriously competing demands between agricultural, state mandated environmental parameters and urban water users.
Drought Contingency Plan Geographic Extent
The DCP area is the Northern Salinas Valley and Monterey Peninsula. The Plan took approximately 2 years to complete and addresses these six elements:
- Drought Monitoring: Establish a process for monitoring water availability, and a framework for predicting the probability of future droughts or conﬁrming an existing drought. Includes process for the collection, analysis, and dissemination of water availability and other drought-related data to deﬁne stages of drought, mitigation and response actions.
- Vulnerability Assessment: Evaluate and assess the risks and impacts of drought and the contributing factors that could impact critical resources in the Plan area. This information will support development of potential mitigation and response actions.
- Mitigation Actions: Identify, evaluate and prioritize actions and activities that will build long-term water supply resiliency and mitigate risks posed by drought.
- Response Actions: Identify, evaluate and prioritize actions and activities that can be implemented in a drought and are triggered during different stages of drought to provide quick benefits.
- Operational and Administrative Framework: Determine local responsibility for undertaking the actions necessary to implement and the DCP.
- Plan Update Process: Develop a process and schedule for monitoring, evaluating and updating the Plan.